Monday, April 5, 2010

Recipe Monday

Today's recipe is for red beans & rice. This is a fast and easy recipe. I use to make red beans & rice from a box mix, but when I found this recipe I knew I would never be using a box mix again.

Speedy Red Beans & Rice
Serves about 3

1 medium onion, diced
2 celery sticks, diced
1 red pepper, diced (you can use green)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 T olive oil
1/2 pound smoked sausage, kielbasa, or hot links, sliced(I used a pound of sausage we like lots of meat at our house.)
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
3/4 cup low salt chicken stock
1 16 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained(I found cans of red beans at my store so that is what I used.)
2 cups of cooked rice
1 bay leaf
1/2 t dried thyme
1/2 t cayenne pepper

In a large saucepan or deep walled skillet, saute the onion, celery and bell pepper until translucent and softening. Add the minced garlic and sausage. Saute for about 2 minutes. Add the spices and tomato sauce and chicken stock and drained beans. Bring to a boil and then simmer the mixture for about 10 minutes. Add the cooked rice and mix well. Let simmer for about 5 minutes (not too long or the rice will take on too much liquid). Serve with tobasco and sliced green onions for garnish.

Recipe Source:Modern Gal

No comments:

Post a Comment