Monday, July 19, 2010

Recipe Monday

I love enchiladas!! I think I have posted that before, so today's recipe is Gooey Enchiladas. This a healthier version of enchiladas, but they still taste really good. I decided to double the sauce because I like my enchiladas to be really saucy. The recipe I am going to post below is with the sauce already doubled I will post the link to the original recipe at the end of the post.

Gooey Enchiladas

2 tsp. olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 Tbs. chopped garlic
2 14-oz. can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
2 tsp. ground coriander (I used chili powder instead)
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
Pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
12 corn tortillas
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer, but don't allow garlic to brown. Add the tomatoes, coriander(chili powder), cumin, oregano, and pepper; cook for a few minutes longer. The finished sauce will be a bit chunky. Stir in cilantro.

Meanwhile, cook beef; drain fat and stir in beans. Warm the tortillas in the oven for about 5 minutes to make them easier to roll; remove. Spread 1/2 cup sauce into a rectangular baking dish. Divide the beef mixture and 3/4 cup of cheese among tortillas. Fold over tortilla sides, place seam side down in the baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce on top and bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle on remaining cheese, and bake another 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Makes 12.

Recipe Source: Parents.com or Parents Mag March 2010 issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment