Monday, January 25, 2010

Recipe Monday

I have been wanting to start my own cooking blog, but with three kids I really have no free time to work on one. I decided that I would post a recipe here every monday. It will be a great way for me to keep track of our favorite recipes or new recipes that we have tried.

The first recipe I am going to post is Crockpot Beef Tamale Pie. After we were married I asked Curbris what he wanted me to cook one night and he said tamale pie. His dad made it growing up and it was his favorite. I had never even heard of tamale pie, so I began the search for a good recipe that would compare to his dad's. After trying a few recipes I came across this one and it became a favorite at our house. It doesn't quite compare to his dad's, but it is a close second. The best thing about this recipe is that it is done in the crockpot, so you can start it in the morning and it is done by dinner time.

I found this recipe at busycook.about.com.

Crockpot Beef Tamale Pie

Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 7 hours

Ingredients:
•1 lb. lean ground beef
•1 onion, chopped
•2 cloves garlic, minced
•15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
•10 oz. can enchilada sauce
•6 oz. pkg. corn muffin mix
•1/3 cup milk
•2 Tbsp. oil
•1 egg
•1 cup shredded Colby cheese
•4 oz. can chopped green chilies, undrained
•1/2 cup sour cream
•1/2 cup salsa
•1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

In nonstick skillet, cook ground beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is cooked. Drain thoroughly and stir in drained kidney beans and enchilada sauce. Pour into 4-5 quart crockpot.
In large bowl, mix together corn muffin mix, milk, oil and egg just until combined. Then add cheese and chilies, including chili liquid. Spoon over beef in crockpot.
Cover crockpot and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the corn bread mixture comes out clean. In small bowl combine sour cream, salsa, and cilantro; serve with pie.
4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment