Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Three Years Down Forever Left To Go!

Yesterday was our three year anniversary, wow it is amazing how fast time flys by. For anniversary we didn't do anything special I had to work so we got to see each other for about an hour yesterday. We are planning on going out on Saturday. I still wanted to do something special for my wonderful husband so I got him a card and I made him one of his favorite foods, lasagna. This is Mumphy's recipe and every time I eat it, it reminds me of when I was little. It is by far my favorite lasagna recipe and the sauce is great because it can be used with any pasta dish. When I don't make lasagna with it I like to make rigatoni.
Lasagna
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup celery, diced
1 onion, chopped
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup ketcup
1 tsp. basil
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 cup water
6 cups tomatoes (see notes)
1 tsp. sugar
salt (to taste)
3 cups cottage cheese
2 eggs
3 cups of Italian cheese (mozzarella and parmesan mixture)
12 lasagna noodles (I like the oven ready kind it save a lot of time)

1. Cook the garlic, onions, celery, and ground beef until the meat is cooked.
2. Stir in ketcup, basil, parsley, water, tomatoes, sugar, and salt.
3. Bring to a boil and than simmer until thick, about 30 mins.
4. Once the sauce is ready mix cottage cheese and eggs in a small bowl.
5. In a 9x13 inch dish layer the lasagna: Place 4 noodles, than cottage cheese
mixture, top with meat sauce and than sprinkle with a little cheese.
6. Repeat and make two more layers. Sprinkle the top with all the cheese that is left.
7. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Enjoy.

Notes: The 6 cups of tomatoes is about three 14.5 oz cans of tomatoes. I like to use two cans of whole tomatoes and 1 can on diced tomatoes, but u can use whatever u like. This time I added some carrots to the sauce and it tasted great.

I like to cook it a little more than 30 mins. to get the cheese a little brown on the edges.




No comments:

Post a Comment