Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Homemade Oreos


So every year when one of my brothers has a birthday I ask them what they want me to bake them and they always request homemade oreos. Today is my brother Lance's birthday, so I am making homemade oreos. I found the recipe in The Essential Mormon Cookbook by Julie Badger Jensen, it is a simple recipe and one of the best I have found for homemade oreos. I usually double the cookie part because they disappear so fast, but you don't have to double the filling it makes a lot.
Here is the recipe:

Outstanding Oreo Cookies

1 box devil's food cake mix

3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened

2 eggs

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup butter

2 tablespoons vanilla

2 cups powdered sugar

In a large bowl combine cake mix, the 3/4 cup butter and eggs. Chill about 10 minutes. Roll into small balls. Place on a greases baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 7 to 9 minutes. Cool.

To prepare filling, beat cream cheese, the 1/2 cup butter, and vanilla together. Add powdered sugar and mix together. Spread filling on top of cookie, and then top with another cookie. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment