Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Umbilical Hernia

What is an umbilical hernia? I had never even heard of an umbilical hernia until I had 2 kids born with them. An umbilical hernia occurs when part of the intestine protrudes through a weak spot in the abdominal muscles. During pregnancy, the umbilical cord passes through a small opening in the baby's abdominal muscles. The opening normally closes before birth. If the muscles don't meet together in the midline completely, this weakness in the abdominal wall may cause an umbilical hernia at birth or later in life.
Here are some facts about umbilical hernias:
  • An umbilical hernia creates a soft swelling or bulge near the navel. The bulge may range from less than one-half inch to about 2 inches in diameter.
  • Usually, no treatment is needed unless the hernia continues past age 3 or 4.
  • Umbilical hernias are more common in females, those of African heritage, and low birth weight babies.
  • One out of every six babies will develop an umbilical hernia.

I remember when Sadie had her hernia it was huge and she did cry a lot. The doctors kept telling me it isn't painful, but I really do believe it bothered her a lot. When I found out that Xanyae had the same hernia I was less than thrilled, but thankful that I had already gone through it with Sadie. I know exactly what to expect and I don't worry as much as I did with Sadie. Here is Xanyae's hernia. I know it looks bad, but Sadie's was bigger.

Look how big he has gotten.
Here is Sadie's belly button it is all healed up
The doctor told me she probably wont like her belly button when she gets older, but that is ok she doesn't need to be showing off her belly button anyways.

1 comment:

  1. no I agree she just needs to show everyone her lovely baldvag

    ReplyDelete